Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snowy Sessions




I was going to start The DC Surfing blog off with an introduction blog, but the snowy weather has brought us swell, and I decided to postpone the introduction for the first session update ever.  Snowpocalpyse generated phenomenal waves with fair to good offshore conditions.  However, due to the dropping water temperatures and the 20 mph NW winds, these waves were not for the beginner or even the seasoned amateur.  These where for the big boys.



48th street at noon thirty

I escaped the snowpocalpyse by leaving DC late Friday as the impending doom of the snow storm was forecasting to make the roads impassable.  I woke up Saturday morning expect to see the some flaky white stuff, but instead woke up to rain and 30 mph winds.  While DC was getting 18" of snow the low pressure system was generating a storm surge in Ocean City, which ultimately would clean up blessing the East Coast with overhead sets at 10 seconds. 


The Saturday Storm Surge


These waves looked fun, but super sets would sneak in making the line up treacherous and swirly.  In the morning the winds were more north with the edge of the storm system still close to shore.  This generated a surge on the inside and semi-clean conditions on the outside.  Only a few brave souls ventured out and quickly turned around as the unorganized conditions pounding them and the winds made it near impossible to stay setup.

Everyone in Ocean City was driving up and down the strip checking the usual spots and a few up-and-coming breaks, but nothing manageable to the average surfer.  However, the buzz was, as the day went on, the swell size would drop and the conditions would clean up.  It did... but it still wasn't for the faint of heart.

Around 2:30 I decided to venture out at a deeper break in hopes that the depth would soften the large powerful waves.  After suiting up in a 5-4, I walked up the dunes and looked out.  I spotted a decent section of lines that I could drift through knowing that the winds and current would make it impossible to stay in one place.  So I jumped off the dune and walked to the water's edge.  After waiting for the sets to pass I dove in and began to paddle out through the surge.  



 Dune erosion at 48th due to the string of storms.


The water temperature was definably much colder then I remembered from my last session 2 weeks ago, but it still wasn't too bad.  As I ducked dive through a minor set waves, water washed through my suit reminding me how cold it really is.  It’s funny how fast my feet numbed up since they were already burning after tromping through 1/2" of snow on the dune.  

After making it out pass the breaker I sat on my board to regain my composer and warm my face.  Okay it was time!  I turned back to the beach to paddle into the setup... Holy Crap I was far from the shore.  The North West wind had pushed me way far out and about a block south.  I was only sitting there for about a minute?  I paddle back in to the setup, which given my recent experience was surprisingly easy.  

Okay... here it comes.  I'm on! Pop up...  CRASH!  Okay that didn't go as planned, but I now realize who exactly these conditions were for.  Given the cold, conditions, and the lack of people it was time to get out.  I caught the next wave in and jumped in my truck.  

Still in the suit I stopped at 48th were I knew more people were.  The beach access road was packed with cars.  They were watching a sweet peak about 2' overhead barreling left.  Seven surfers were vying for the setup as photographers and spectators looked on.  No other surfers were surfing anywhere else.  The waves were nice, but too much for the average surfer.   


48th Street Jetty




So what did I think?
Wave height: 1-3 foot overhead occasional +
Wave face conditions: clean
Overall Conditions:  Disorganized, Semi-clean to Clean
Winds: NW @ 20 mph and offshore.  
Water temp: 43 degrees F (5/4 suit and thick boots and gloves)
Surfing level:  Advanced
Wave type: Barreling with nice long faces out of the barrel.  Still had to watch out for close out sections.




No comments:

Post a Comment